Looking for a quick and delicious way to add some zing to your meals? Try my go-to simple salsa verde! This versatile sauce is the perfect flavor booster for tacos, quesadillas, eggs, and more. Plus, it's raw, vegan, and vegetarian, so it's a guilt-free way to spice up your meals. Don't settle for boring food – give this delicious salsa a try and taste the difference.
Why you want to make this salsa?
Love tangy, raw salsa? Try this simple salsa verde! Made with just a few ingredients, it's perfect year-round, especially in summer when you don't want to turn on the stove. Made with tomatillos and jalapeños, it's a delicious way to beat the heat and add a flavorful punch to any meal or snack.
How to make it? Step by Step
- To a food processor or blender, add in the tomatillo, chiles, onion, garlic, and salt to taste. Blend the ingredients until you get a chunky consistency.
2. Add in the cilantro, avocado, and lime juice and blend in further.
3. Final consistency should be a bit chunky.
4. Taste for salt and add in more if necessary. If adding in more salt, mix in with the rest of the ingredients.
FAQ & Tips
- Is salsa verde spicy? No, it's not spicy. You can always increase or decrease the amount of chile you use. I recommend using chile jalapeño if you want the salsa less spicy.
- Can I use canned tomatillos instead of fresh ones? I would recommend using fresh ones because the canned ones tend to be too soft, kind of mushy. Using fresh tomatillos will give your sauce a better chunky consistency.
- How do I adjust the consistency of my salsa verde? You can always add in some water if you feel the salsa is too thick. Add in one tablespoon of water at a time until you reach the desired consistency.
- Why does my salsa verde turn thicker when I take it off from the fridge? Due to the pectin in the tomatillos, the salsa verde will acquire a thicker consistency as time goes by. Use a spoon to mix it up. If too thick, add in one tablespoon of water at a time until you reach the desired consistency.
Ready to make this salsa verde?
Yes, of course! If you do, please tag me on Instagram @anasheavenlytacos and/or leave a comment below. I always love to hear from you if you have any comments and/or questions. Also, remember to sign up for my newsletter to stay up to date with all the upcoming recipes and articles about Mexican cuisine.
Simple Salsa Verde
- 1 blender or food processor
- 250 grams green tomatillos, roughly chopped
- 2 serrano or jalapeño chiles, roughly chopped You can increase or decrease the amount of chiles according to your heat tolerance. Use one of each, serrano and jalapeño for even greater flavour.
- ¼ medium sized onion, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 10 grams cilantro, roughly chopped
- ½ large avocado or 1 small avocado
- ½ lime juice
- Salt to taste
- To a food processor or blender, add in the tomatillos, chiles, onion, garlic, and salt to taste. Blend the ingredients until you get a chunky consistency.
- Add in the cilantro, avocado, and lime juice and blend until all the ingredients are well incorporated. Final consistency should be chunky.
- Taste for salt and add in more if necessary. If adding in more salt, mix in to combine.
Nutrition is only an estimate based on Nutrifox.
Explore more with these recipes