These air fryer sweet potato cubes are a nutritious and delicious bundle with every bite. Sweet potatoes are a great mood booster. Their high vitamin C content are essential for producing the happy hormones, serotonin and dopamine.
Oh! and did I mention that you can prepare them in about half the time less versus roasting in a regular oven?
It was love at the first bite with these potatoes. Slightly sweet, crispy on the outside and yet tender on the inside.
When I found out that they are essential to the production of the happy hormones, I was sold! No wonder I like eating them so much.
Side dishes like this one are to main dishes like that good friend that makes anything much better. Try also preparing my Mexican refried beans for another side dish variation.
Why You'll Love this Recipe
- Best of both worlds. Crispy on the outside and yet tender on the inside. Try to eat them soon after air frying for optimal crispiness.
- Save time. With the air fryer, you can prepare these sweet potato cubes in about half the time compared to roasting them in the oven.
- Happiness Booster. I can't emphasize enough all the benefits of sweet potatoes. However, one of the most important benefits is helping with the creation of those feel good hormones in our body, dopamine and serotonin.
You'll need the following ingredients to make this recipe:
- Sweet Potatoes: Choose orange skinned sweet potatoes that are firm and have smooth skin.
- Kosher Salt: Kosher salt has larger crystals compared to table salt, so if you're using table salt, make sure to adjust the quantities as mentioned in the recipe.
- Adobo Chipotle Sauce: This sauce adds smoky and spicy flavor. You can adjust the amount based on your spice preference.
- Ground Cumin: Cumin adds a warm and earthy flavor to the sweet potatoes. Make sure your ground cumin is fresh for the best flavor.
- Hazelnuts: Hazelnuts provide crunch and nutty flavor. You can toast them before adding to enhance their taste.
How to cut sweet potatoes into dices and make this recipe, Step by Step
Step 1: For dicing the peeled sweet potato, cut it into two or three parts depending on the size of it.
Step 2: Cut a small sliver from one side of the sweet potato to create a stable base.
Step 3: Place the sweet potato cut side down and cut it into ½ inch thick planks.
Step 4: Cut the planks lengthwise into ½ inch thick strips. Then cut across the strips into ½ inch dices.
Step 5: Toss the diced potatoes with 2 tbsps of oil.
Step 6: Pre-heat the air fryer at 400° F.
Step 7: If available, use an air fryer liner.
Step 8: Place a single layer of the sweet potato cubes in the air fryer. Cook for 12-15 minutes. Stir half way through.
Step 9: Remove the sweet potatoes from the air fryer and season with salt. Set aside to cool off to touch.
Step 10: For the seasoning mix, combine the remaining ⅛ cup of oil, lemon juice, adobo chipotle sauce, cumin, smoked paprika, black pepper, garlic powder, allspice, maple syrup and 1 teaspoon of salt.
Step 11: In a bowl, combine the seasoning with the cooled off sweet potatoes.
Step 12: Garnish with cilantro and chopped hazelnuts.
- Air fryer liner. Use them if available. They are a great time saver for cleaning up your air fryer. Worth getting specially if you use your air fryer on a regular basis. I got mine on Amazon.
- Do not overlap the sweet potato cubes. When air frying, place them on a single layer for achieving best crispiness results. You may need to roast them in batches.
- Cut the sweet potato into even dices. As much as possible, try to cut the sweet potato into even dices to achieve even roasting.
Storage and Reheating
- Cooling: Allow the air-fried sweet potato cubes to cool down to room temperature before storing them. This helps prevent moisture buildup in the storage container.
- Container: Place the cooled sweet potato cubes in an airtight container. They can stay fresh for up to 3-4 days.
- Freezing: Place them in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze until they're solid. Once frozen, transfer them to a freezer-safe, airtight container or a resealable freezer bag. They can be stored in the freezer for up to 2-3 months.
- Thawing: When you're ready to use the frozen sweet potato cubes, remove the desired amount from the freezer and thaw them in the refrigerator.
- Reheating: You can re-heat them in the air fryer for 5 minutes approximately, or you can bake them in the oven until they're heated through and crispy.
- Quality Note: Keep in mind that these air fryer sweet potato cubes are the most crispy when freshly air-fried. They might not be as crispy after keeping in the fridge or freezing and then thawing and reheating, but they should still taste delicious.
Additions and Substitutions
- Hazelnuts. You can add in or substitute them with other nuts or seeds, such as almonds, pecans, walnuts, pumpkin or sunflower seeds, etc.
- Cilantro. If you are not a fan of cilantro, substitute it with parsley, Italian herbs or just omit it.
- Maple Syrup. You can substitute it with honey in the same amount.
- Adobo chipotle sauce. You can substitute it with one jalapeño, diced, stemmed and seeded. The seasoning won't have that smoky touch particular of the adobo though.
FAQ... Your questions answered
Yes, keep in mind that using frozen sweet potato chunks may result in slightly different textures compared to fresh ones. They may not get quite as crispy, and the cooking time may vary.
Thaw the frozen sweet potato chunks in the refrigerator or at room temperature before air frying.
After thawing, pat the sweet potato chunks dry with paper towels to remove excess moisture. This will help achieve a crispy texture during air frying.
The cooking time for frozen sweet potato chunks will likely be longer than for fresh ones. Start with the recommended cooking time for fresh sweet potato cubes, and then adjust as needed.
Main reason could be that the sweet potatoes were cut unevenly which could cause some cubes to roast well while others to burn.
Hence, stir half way through the roasting time to make sure there are no overly roasted sweet potato cubes.
They may need additional time to roast. In such case, roast for an additional 2-3 minutes and check for doneness.
Remember that these potatoes are the crispiest when just air fried. They will loose their crispy texture with time.
Are you ready to make this air fryer sweet potato cubes?
Of course! If you do, please leave a comment and remember to sign up for my newsletter to stay updated about upcoming cooking classes and recipes.
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes
- Air Fryer can also cook in a regular oven
- 1 ½ lbs orange skinned sweet potatoes peeled and cut into ½ inch pieces
- 2 tablespoon plus ⅛ cup of extra virgin olive oil, separated
- 1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt use only 1 teaspoon if using table salt
- ½ lemon, juice
- 1 tablespoon adobo chipotle sauce refers to the adobo sauce that comes in canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt if using table salt, use half of the amount
- 10 grams cilantro, chopped coarsely use leaves and stems
- ¼ cup hazelnuts roughly chopped
- For dicing the peeled sweet potato, cut it into two or three parts depending on the size of it so that it's easier to work with.
- Cut a small sliver from one side of the sweet potato to create a stable base.
- Place the sweet potato cut side down and cut it into ½ inch thick planks.
- Stack a few of the planks and cut lengthwise into ½ inch thick strips. Then cut across the strips into ½ inch dices.
- Toss the diced potatoes with 2 tbsps of oil.
- Pre-heat the air fryer at 400° F.
- If available, use an air fryer liner and place a single layer of the sweet potato cubes in the air fryer on top of the liner.
- Cook for 12-15 minutes. Stir half way through.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the air fryer. Salt with 1 ½ teaspoon of salt. Set aside to cool off to touch.
- In the meantime, combine the remaining ⅛ cup of oil, lemon juice, adobo chipotle sauce, cumin, smoked paprika, black pepper, garlic powder, allspice, maple syrup and 1 teaspoon of salt.
- In a bowl, combine the seasoning with the cooled off sweet potatoes.
- Garnish with cilantro and chopped hazelnuts.
- Make sure to cut the sweet potato cubes as evenly as possible so they cook uniformly in the air fryer.
- Do not overlap the sweet potatoes in the air fryer. They should form a single layer. You may need to cook in batches.
- Set the oven rack to the middle position. Pre-heat oven to 450 ° F.
- Transfer the sweet potato cubes to a parchment paper lined baking sheet and spread into a single layer. Cook the potatoes for 30-35 mins, stirring half way through.
- Let the potatoes cool down to touch before mixing with the seasoning.
Nutritional information is just an estimate provided by NutriFox.